Author: Kimberley Montpetit
Series: Women of Ambrose Estate #1
Genres: Contemporary Romance
Date: August 18, 2019
Publisher: Spellbound Books
A hall of secrets. A deadly curse. Can their love overcome her dark legacy, or is it doomed from the start?
Sofia Ambrose enjoys her simple life as a veterinarian, far away from the opulence and dark secrets of her family’s historic Texas estate. When she and her five sisters are summoned to the Ambrose Estate for a reading of her grandmother’s will—a grandmother who, at 88 years old, is still alive and kicking—Sofia is both bewildered and intrigued. But the truth is more shocking than she could have imagined– her grandmother has turned Ambrose Estate over to her, and she must give up every hope of a regular life in order to run it and protect her family’s legacy.
When disaster strikes, Sofia must act quickly to save the family fortune. Unfortunately, this means working with the rude and insufferable Gavin Spencer. He thinks Sofia is just a spoiled, rich oil heiress. But once she gets to know him, Sofia discovers Gavin’s charm, intellect, and incredible bravery, and soon enough she is falling hard for the rugged firefighter.
Despite her feelings, Sofia knows their love is doomed. Ambrose Estate’s mansion, with its Hall of the Dead, contains so many secrets Sofia can’t even count them. An old family curse stands between her and happiness, and she must sacrifice Gavin’s love to save his life.
Desperately, Sofia searches for answers in her great-great-grandmother’s journal. Does it contain the key to breaking the curse? Or will her heart have to break into a thousand pieces?
Rating: Mild. Mild kissing; mild (nonsexual) violence or horror.
Enjoyable story. Interesting premise for a series. I had wondered how in the world one could put out an oil fire so that was interesting. I think those that do so are incredibly brave but just a little crazy. We should all be grateful to them.
It will be interesting to see what happens with each of the sisters. We only got introduced to one of them in this book so perhaps she is next up? The grandmother is an interesting character. I never could quite figure her out. How much did she really know?
The romance moves from enemies to being in love super fast but I guess it happens.
Sex: kisses, reference to an extra-marital affair (no details)
Violence: black magic
*I received a complimentary arc of this book and voluntarily choose to review it.
I read this in one day, and I can’t wait to see how some of the other characters may get woven into the next books!
Loved this book! My husband has the John Wayne movie “Hellfighters”, based on Red Adair, the Houston oil well firefighter and this book matched the description of oil well fires. The storyline held my attention from the first page. The author shared details of the characters backgrounds in a descriptive, concise manner, enough to allow the reader to relate, but not so much that it fell into the superfluous or inane. Great storytelling!
Rating: 4.5 stars
What I enjoyed or found interesting about this book:
• The beginning of the story caught my interest and I began to root for Gavin and Sofia. Is there really an Ambrose Curse that will kill Gavin?
• I liked the unique storyline, that included Gavin owning a business that puts out oil well fires.
• I liked the relationship of caring that Gavin and Sofia had. I felt it throughout the book. They were people I easily became attached to.
• I laughed at some of the witty banter.
• How much baggage do we carry with us in life? Do we unconsciously drag it along life’s pathway hindering our forward progression? These were questions I pondered as I read this book. I like books that make me think.
• The descriptions of locations and emotions were well done and easy to visualize. I felt a part of the scenes.
• The author writes with an easy-to-follow prose that guides the reader without confusion.
• This story was well edited.
• This was a clean read.
• The narrator brought this story to life.
I enjoyed this book very much and highly recommend it. It is a unique romance with a touch of mystery. I think you’ll enjoy it, too.