Author: Debra (DJ) Erfert
Series: Shane Investigations #1
Genres: Romantic Suspense, Suspense/Thriller
Format: eBook, Print
Date: May 9, 2018
Publisher: Stone Horse Press
A police sergeant, the woman who dumped him, and their second chance at love.
While on a stakeout to catch the cretin who’s stalking a client, Private Investigator Candice Shane finds a house on fire–at midnight. A pink tricycle in the yard prompts her hasty decision to break in, saving a sleeping woman and her three children.
Her ex-boyfriend, Sergeant Alex Delaney, thinks she’s insane to take on the woman as a client. But with the husband out of town during the incident, he’s the prime suspect, and Candice has a gut feeling he didn’t do it. Who would want a woman and three children dead?
As clue after clue leads Candice and Alex down a dangerous road, her heart is also on a treacherous path–one of falling for Alex again. Sure, Candice can dodge bullets and interrogate witnesses, but she can’t she resist Alex’s wit, charm, and good looks.
In the end, if she and Alex can’t find who set the fire, her heart might not be the only thing she loses.
Rating: Mild+. Mild substance use; mild kissing; mild language; mild (nonsexual) violence or horror.
Rating: 5 stars
What I liked about this book and my thoughts:
• This is a second chance romance between a PI and a police officer. This novel kept my interest from the beginning until the end.
• The romance between Candice and Alex was one that the reader wanted to be successful. They were such interesting characters.
• Candice is hired to investigate a criminal fire and Alex is helping her with it. It is hard for Candice to keep an emotional distance from Alex as they work together. Candice does not want to get involved with a police officer. You’ll need to read this book to find out why.
• There were lots of action and suspense in this story’s plot. Many twists and turns made this story unpredictable, and kept the reader guessing about what would happen next.
• The writer’s words painted clear pictures that helped me to visualize the scenes and the emotions of the characters. The author’s writing style was concise, vivid, clear, and a pleasure to read.
If you like romantic suspense, you will like this novel. I can’t wait to read book two.